When I see other versions of healthy shepherd’s pie I often see the potatoes being replaced with yams, and the ground beef being replaced with ground turkey. Well I wanted to make this as close to the original version as possible, but still healthy! Most shepherd’s pie only contain 1-1 1/2 cups of vegetables. In this dish all I did different was add 7 CUPS of veggies, and to be honest, I couldn’t even taste that there were that many vegetables in it.
1lb grass fed beef
11-12 small red potatoes
1/3 cup milk
2 cups Non-GMO corn
2 cups peas
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped carrots
1 can tomato sauce
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. turmeric
2 tbs. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400F
1. Quarter potatoes(leaving on the skin) and put into a large pot. Fill the rest of the pot with water. Put on stove on high for approx. 20 minutes or until soft.
2. While potatoes are cooking, put all veggies (even the chopped onion) in the steamer, except the tomato sauce. Put the steamer on for about 20 minutes.
3. Put the beef in a medium sized pan on medium heat. Cook until there is no more pink in the meat. At the basil, turmeric, 1tbs of garlic powder, salt, pepper and tomato sauce. keep on simmer.
4. Once the Potatoes are done, drain the water. Add milk, salt, and the rest of the garlic powder. Mix with an electric beater until smooth.
5. Put the meat in a 9×9 baking dish. Then the veggies. Then the potatoes. Put in oven for about 30 minutes or until the top starts lightly browning a little.
I hope you like this recipe. If you want to keep up with health tips and idea then come to my facebook page and give me a “like”
Did you know Chef Ramsey’s favourite comfort food was shepherd’s pie? What’s yours?